Thursday, April 26, 2012

English Muffin Bread

This isn't something I'm trying for the first time. I've been making it here and there for a few weeks. What is new about this time is that I tried it with part whole wheat flour and added vital wheat gluten to make sure it wasn't dense.  I also put a loaf in the freezer for later.  When I make the frozen loaf I'll let you know how it turns out.


If you've never made yeast bread it can be tricky but practice makes perfect or close to it anyways. I'm not going to give you a lesson in yeast and bread making. Here is a good tutorial that you can read if you're interested. If you start making yeast bread on a regular basis do not buy yeast at the regular grocery store. A small jar is about $7. Go to Costco and buy the big block of it. You get 2 lbs of yeast for $4-6. I can't remember how much I paid exactly but it was less than the grocery store and you get a ton more. So even if you end up not using all of it by the time it goes bad it's still far cheaper. Store it in your freezer to extend the life of it.


This is the recipe I have been using.  I must admit I messed up when making it this time. I proofed the yeast first and you don't have to. Also I should have read through the comments again. Those that have used whole wheat flour added extra water. I did not.



It turned out just fine, though I prefer the all white flour version.  Next time I'll use white wheat flour.  


And by the way english muffin bread makes very good grilled cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment